Monday 8 January 2018

Taste of Darkness - Book Review


Taste of Darkness (Healer #3)
by Maria V. Snyder


What is it about:
She's fought death and won. But how can she fight her fears?

Avry knows hardship and trouble. She fought the plague and survived. She took on King Tohon and defeated him. But now her heart-mate, Kerrick, is missing, and Avry fears he's gone forever.

But there's a more immediate threat: The Skeleton King plots to claim the Fifteen Realms for his own. With armies in disarray and the dead not staying down, Avry's healing powers are needed now more than ever.

Torn between love and loyalty, Avry must choose her path carefully. For the future of her world depends on her decision.


What did I think of it:
It took me a long time, hunting for spoilers about the ending, and reading Shadow Study before I finally dared to read this book.

And I'm glad I did, because this is a really enjoyable read.

The second book ended ith quite a cliffhanger, so Taste of Darkness started with suspense and action. soon I was back in the story and world, and I rooted for Avry to succeed in her endeavors. I must say that Loren and Quain got on my nerves from time to time. Were they this annoying in the previous books as well? I must have grown less tolerant in the years since.

There's lots going on and at times I wondered how things could be resolved in this book. This being the last book in a trilogy things did get resolved of course. Some a bit too easy in my opinion, but the book is already over 450 pages, so if I had my way a fourth book would have been needed.

All in all this is a very entertaining Fantasy read with lots of action and interesting characters. It might have taken me a while to get my trust back in Snyder's storytelling, but I will certainly pick up more books by her in the future

Why should you read it:

It's a fun Fantasy read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: