Thursday 31 August 2017

Dark Needs at Night's Edge - Book Review by Voodoo Bride


Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark #5)
by Kresley Cole


What is it about:
Neomi Laress, a famous ballerina from a past century, became a phantom the night she was murdered. Imbued with otherworldly powers but invisible to the living, she haunts her beloved home, scaring away trespassers--until she encounters a ruthless immortal even more terrifying than Neomi herself.

To prevent him from harming others, vampire warrior Conrad Wroth's brothers imprison him in an abandoned manor. But there, a female only he can see seems determined to drive him further into madness. The exquisite creature torments him with desire, leaving his body racked with lust and his soul torn as he finds himself coveting her for his own.

Yet even if Conrad can win Neomi, evil still surrounds her. Once he returns to the brutality of his past to protect her, will he succumb to the dark needs seething inside him?


What did Voodoo Bride think of it:
I'm totally reading out of order, but this one sounded more interesting than A Hunger Like No Other which I should have been reading if I kept to series order. And reading the blurbs I had the feeling I wouldn't miss out if I did read out of order.

And I must say I liked this story better than the novella that started this series (The Warlord Wants Forever).
I really liked the idea of a romance between a ghost and a vampire. Neomi can't be touched by Conrad so this made for a romance that's much more about personalities than physical lust. It's still all a bit quick and I would have liked more of a build up where they really get to know each other, but it felt much more convincing than the romance in the novella.

Knowing this time the story is set in the present also made that I didn't feel as lost about the time period as I did in The Warlord Wants Forever. I still really like the mythology and world building that's there.

There were appearances of characters from previous books that make me wonder if I will like them if I decide to read the books that are about them, or if they're as obnoxious as they seemed in this book. The couple that's in A Hunger Like No Other didn't make an appearance as far I could tell, so I will read that one when I'm in the mood for Paranormal Romance and decide if I'll read more depending on how much I like it.

All in all this book was a very enjoyable PNR, even if it won't end up on my keeper shelves.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable and entertaining PNR read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: