Monday 5 June 2017

Vanguard - Early Book Review


Vanguard (Razorland #4)
by Ann Aguirre


What is it about:
The Razorland saga continues. Since the war ended, Tegan has dreamed of an epic journey, so when she has the opportunity to sign on as ship's doctor, she can't wait. It's past time to chart her course. Millie Faraday, the kindest girl in the free territories, also yearns to outrun her reputation, and warrior-poet James Morrow would follow Tegan to the ends of the earth.

Their company seems set, but fate brings one more to their number. Tegan will battle incredible odds while aiding Szarok, the Uroch vanguard, who has ventured forth to save his people. Szarok is strange and beautiful, like a flower that blooms only in the dark. She shouldn't allow him close, as such a relationship is both alien and forbidden. But through stormy seas and strange lands, she will become stronger than she ever knew.


What did I think of it:
I love the Razorland Saga. It's one of my favorite Post Apocalyptic series. So of course I pre-ordered Vanguard and was impatiently waiting for release day.

Imagine how happy I was when I got an ARC from Ann Aguirre when I was at the Love Letter Convention in Berlin!

I can tell you I immediately started on it and finished the book before my train took me back home.

This story is so beautiful!!

Where the original trilogy is focused on survival and on the battle between humans and the flesh eating mutants, Vanguard is about the aftermath of that war.

What happens once the fighting is over? How do two different races find peace and a way to make a better life for all?

I loved seeing Tegan come into her own. I've always liked her and hoped to see her find happiness after all she has endured. This book does her quiet strength justice. I rooted for Tegan to find a place to belong and to blossom, and seeing her friendship with Szarok grow was beautiful.

Szarok is a really intriguing character as well. I loved learning more about the Uroch through his eyes. Szarok has a great sense of duty and the ties to his clan are strong. I will say I was worried if he would be able to find a path that would bring both him and his clan happiness.

Next to Tegan and Szarok's story this book also tells the stories of Millie and James. Although their stories were cool to read as well, for me they were overshadowed by Tegan and Szarok. Still I was also invested in what happened to them.

All in all this is an amazing read and a great addition to the Razorland Saga. I'm tempted to do a full reread one of these days I will confess.

Why should you read it:
It's an amazing Post Apocalyptic YA read.


Buy from bookdepository
Expected release July 25, 2017

No comments: