Wednesday 8 February 2017

I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It - Book Review


I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It
by Adam Selzer


What is it about:
Algonquin “Ali” Rhodes, the high school newspaper’s music critic, meets an intriguing singer, Doug, while reviewing a gig. He’s a weird-looking guy—goth, but he seems sincere about it, like maybe he was into it back before it was cool. She introduces herself after the set, asking if he lives in Cornersville, and he replies, in his slow, quiet murmur, “Well, I don’t really live there, exactly...”

When Ali and Doug start dating, Ali is falling so hard she doesn’t notice a few odd signs: he never changes clothes, his head is a funny shape, and he says practically nothing out loud. Finally Marie, the school paper’s fashion editor, points out the obvious: Doug isn’t just a really sincere goth. He’s a zombie. Horrified that her feelings could have allowed her to overlook such a flaw, Ali breaks up with Doug, but learns that zombies are awfully hard to get rid of—at the same time she learns that vampires, a group as tightly-knit as the mafia, don’t think much of music critics who make fun of vampires in reviews...


What did I think of it:
I'm usually not a fan of thinking zombies, but the title of this book was too good to not put it on my wishlist. I finally got my trotters on it when Melliane gifted it to me on my birthday.

And this is a cute and fun read.

There's instalove between Ali and Doug, but that didn't diminish my enjoyment. Ali is a snarky narrator and I very much enjoyed her view on everything that's happening. Her relationship with Doug takes a couple of turns I didn't see coming, and then there were the vampires spicing events up as well.

Doug as a thinking zombie works for this story, and I liked the background story Selzer came up with for zombies.

All in all this is a quick and fun read. I might have to investigate Selzer's other books.

Why should you read it:
It's a cute YA (thinking) Zombie read.


Buy from bookdepository

2 comments:

Melliane said...

even with instalove it sounds cute! maybe one day!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

That title is cute and grabs you. Glad you enjoyed it.