Monday 12 December 2016

Conspiracy of Ravens - Book Review


Conspiracy of Ravens (The Shadow #2)
by Lila Bowen


What is it about:
Nettie Lonesome made a leap -- not knowing what she'd become. But now the destiny of the Shadow is calling.

A powerful alchemist is leaving a trail of dead across the prairie. And the Shadow must face the ultimate challenge: side with her friends and the badge on her chest or take off alone on the dangerous mission pulling her inexorably toward the fight of her life.

When it comes to monsters and men, the world isn't black and white. What good are two wings and a gun when your enemy can command a conspiracy of ravens?


What did I think of it:
I very much enjoyed the first book in this series, so I made sure to get my trotters on book 2.

And this is another cool and gritty read.

Nettie is not comfortable in her skin, but as Rhett she/he is finding his place in life. I'm not trans myself, so I'm in no way an expert, but I think the transformation from Nettie into Rhett over these two books was done really well. I loved reading how Rhett is discovering more about who he is, and about his sexuality.

The quest Rhett and his friends set out on is full of danger and mystery. I loved the parts where Rhett and his friends are together the most. I especially love Coyote Dan, I'll confess. When Rhett is on his own, he gets stupid at times, and I wanted to kick some sense into him. He sure needs to learn he's not invincible. Still I very much enjoyed the story, maybe even because the trouble he leads himself into.

I love the world building and the creatures that roam this world. The mix of a Western setting with lots of supernatural creatures is really cool in my opinion. The mythology is intriguing and lends itself for lots of adventures. The book ends with the main storyline resolved, but leaves you with a couple of other cliffhangers that makes me eager to get my trotters on the next book.

You bet I'll be getting the next book as soon as it releases!

Why should you read it:
It's a gritty and cool Paranormal Western read.


Buy from bookdepository

No comments: