Wednesday 28 October 2015

Gaslight Hades (Beneath a Waning Moon) - Book Review


Gaslight Hades (part of Beneath a Waning Moon)
by Grace Draven


What is it about:
In GASLIGHT HADES, Nathaniel Gordon walks two worlds—that of the living and the dead. Barely human, he's earned the reputation of a Bonekeeper, the scourge of grave robbers. He believes his old life over, until one dreary burial he meets the woman he once loved and almost married. Lenore Kenward stands at her father’s grave, begging the protection of the mysterious guardian, not knowing he is her lost love. Resolved to keep his distance, Nathaniel is forced to abandon his plan and accompany Lenore on a journey into the mouth of Hell where sea meets sky, and the abominations that exist beyond its barrier wait to destroy them

What did I think of it:
This story is part of Beneath a Waning Moon, a book that also contains the story A VERY PROPER MONSTER by Elizabeth Hunter. I received an ARC of Gaslight Hades, so that's the only story I read of the two.

Gaslight Hades is a very nice story.

I really liked the Victorian/Steampunk mood and Draven's writing. The idea of the Bonekeepers (revived creatures who protect graveyards from grave robbers) was really intriguing. In fact I was a bit disappointed that the story leads away from the ghostly atmosphere of the graveyard and continues on an airship. I wanted more gloom and darkness. (And airships are a bit overdone in Steampunk imo)

The romance in this story was sweet and enjoyable. I liked both Nathaniel and Lenore. There's one romantic scene that made me snort, I'm still not sure if Draven meant it that way, or if it's just me though.

All in all this is a very enjoyable story, and if Draven writes more in this setting I will probably read it, depending on how many airships are in it. I will most certainly try other works by Draven as well.

Why should you read it:
It's a nice and enjoyable Steampunk romance


Buy Link

No comments: