Friday 6 March 2015

Zombies Don't Cry - Book Review


Zombies Don't Cry (Living Dead Love Story #1)
by Rusty Fischer


What is it about:
Maddy Swift is just a normal girl—a high school junior surviving class with her best friend and hoping the yummy new kid, Stamp, will ask her out. When he finally does, her whole life changes.

Sneaking out to meet Stamp at a party one rainy night, Maddy is struck by lightning. After awakening, she feels lucky to be alive. Over time, however, Maddy realizes that she’s become the thing she and everyone else fear most: the living dead.

With no heartbeat and no breath in her lungs, Maddy must learn how to survive as a zombie. Turns out there’s a lot more to it than shuffling around 24/7 growling, “Brains.” Needing an afterlife makeover is only the beginning of her problems. As Barracuda Bay High faces zombie Armageddon, Maddy must summon all of her strength to protect what matters most—just as soon as she figures out exactly what that is.


What did I think about it:
When will I learn that most books about 'thinking zombies' are not for me? Probably never, because the word zombie just lures me in every time with its possibilities for zombie mayhem and carnage.

Maddy is doing such brainless things, I would call her 'Too Stupid To Live' if she wasn't a zombie. So now I will just have to call her 'Too Stupid To Be A Zombie', and that's saying something.

But it turns out her stupidity is hereditary: her father is a coroner and doesn't notice his daughter is a zombie! I had to wonder how often he makes mistakes in his work.

The stupidity of this father-daughter team aside: there were some cool other characters, and it was for them that I kept reading. The 'science' behind the zombies was a little rickety, but interesting enough to want to find out more about the zombies. Sadly enough the story didn't give me enough of that, and an overdose of Maddy being brainless (and having a bad taste in friends and boys).

So while the story was entertaining enough for me to finish this book, I won't be putting it on my keeper shelves, and I won't read any other books in this series.

Why should you read it:
It's a nice enough read if you don't mind Maddy.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

Aurian said...

Lol now I am sorry that I bought this book for you. Too stupid to be a zombie, wow.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

lol To stupid to be a zombie. :D I like that. Sounds like it's a fun read, but nothing to think too hard on. thanks for sharing.