Monday 8 December 2014

Alice in Zombieland - Book Review


Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles #1)
by Gena Showalter


What is it about:
She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real...

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies...


What did I think of it:
Going by the title of this book and the title of this series I expected this book to be a zombie retelling of Alice in Wonderland.

Well... There are some references to Alice in Wonderland, but those are few and far between. And don't get me started on the zombies. I was not pleased with the zombies!

Once I let go of the disappointment that this wasn't a retelling, and that the zombies were not the kind of zombies I like, I did get into the story.

It does have a lot of teenage drama and some cool action. I didn't much warm up to Alice and her love interest Cole. Cole's friends weren't that nice either. Of all the characters in the book I liked Kat, one of Alice's new friends, the most. And even Kat didn't feel like a real person. All of the characters felt staged. Even when things got tense and heads started to roll, I wasn't invested enough in the characters to care.

In the end this was a moderately enjoyable read, but I won't read the other books in this series. I do have the first book of Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series in my TBR pile, so I will give that a try to see if that's more to my liking.

Why should you read it:
It's a nice Paranormal YA read


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Awww, too bad it wasn't better!