Friday 23 May 2014

Requiem - Book Review


Requiem (Delirium #3)
by Lauren Oliver


What is it about:
Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.


What did I think of it:
*spoilery (especially about relationships)*

After having finished Pandemonium I immediately picked up Requiem, because I had to know what would happen next.

The one thing I was very happy about: Alex was back!

What I was not so happy about: Lena!

Throughout the book I wanted to kick Lena for how she acted towards both Julian and Alex. She's mothering Julian, instead of giving him a chance to become his own person. I was surprised she didn't try to wipe his nose for him when he sneezed. Egh...
And while she's cuddling up to Julian she's giving Alex the evil eye for even talking with another girl. Come on! Does she really expect him to keep pining after her while she clearly is involved with another boy!?

Lena's very annoying behavior aside, I really enjoyed this book. I liked getting to read about Hana as well, and to see what her life is like now that she is 'cured'.

The storyline with Lena and the resistance was the most intense storyline though. I was gripped by their struggle for freedom. And the ending...

I've heard many people grumble about the ending and I can understand why. It's not a neat little ending that ties up all lose ends and showers everyone in an eternal Happily Ever After. Instead it leaves you with lots of questions and things to think about. And to be honest:

I must say I was very happy with this ending.

So overall I very much enjoyed this book and the whole trilogy. The first book is the most beautiful, and the strongest, in my opinion, but Requiem isn't far behind.

I will most certainly read other books by Oliver in the future.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable Dystopian Young Adult read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

1 comment:

Aurian said...

Lovely review, perhaps I will read these books one day, although I did buy them for my stepdaughter, they are in my bookcase ;)