Monday 24 March 2014

Once A Witch - Book Review


Once a Witch (Witch #1)
by Carolyn MacCullough


What is it about:
Tamsin Greene comes from a long line of witches, and she was supposed to be one of the most Talented among them. But Tamsin's magic never showed up. Now seventeen, Tamsin attends boarding school in Manhattan, far from her family.

But when a handsome young professor mistakes her for her very Talented sister, Tamsin agrees to find a lost family heirloom for him. The search—and the stranger—will prove to be more sinister than they first appeared, ultimately sending Tamsin on a treasure hunt through time that will unlock the secret of her true identity, unearth the sins of her family, and unleash a power so vengeful that it could destroy them all.


What did I think of it:
I totally bought this book for the pretty cover. Luckily it turned out the cover isn't the only good thing about this book.

This is a great story.

I liked Tamsin from the start. Being the only one without magic she's the black sheep of the family. Mocked by her sister and cousins, she's happiest when away from her family among 'normal' people. I could really understand how she felt, and when someone mistakes her for her sister, I didn't even want to slap her for not telling the truth. Instead I wanted her to succeed and to show her family what she can do.

I loved Tamsin's roommate Agatha, who's a cool and quirky character. I was sad she only had a very small role in the book. Luckily Tamsin got help from another character I really loved: Gabriel.

Gabriel is the son of a family friend, and has a Talent, but he's not judging and mocking Tamsin for not being Talented. He sees Tamsin for who she is and not for what she can or can't do. He joins Tamsin on her search and together they get into lots of trouble.

I really enjoyed this story. It's fun, full of action and suspense, and has a sweet romance. The ending, although leaving you with a cliffhanger, is satisfying enough that you don't feel cheated. That being said: I immediately ordered the next book, because I want more.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun and very enjoyable Paranormal YA read.


buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

2 comments:

Aurian said...

O this sounds good Sullivan, I will add it to my wishlist.

Aleksandra said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it :) I did, too, though it's been such a long time since I've read it, so I don't remember Agatha, but I remember Tamsin & Gabriel (I loved them as characters) & I loved the story, too, and as a whole I loved the duology :)