Monday 27 January 2014

Left Hand Magic - Book Review


Left Hand Magic (Golgotham #2)
by Nancy A. Collins


What is it about:
Located on Manhattan's Lower East Side, Golgotham has been the city's supernatural neighborhood for centuries. Populated by countless creatures from myth and legend, the neighborhood's most prominent citizens are the Kymera, a race of witches who maintain an uneasy truce with New York City's humans...

Tate Eresby has accepted the unusual sights and sounds of Golgotham and made it her home. Unfortunately, a magazine has alerted trendsetting hipsters to its existence and they've descended upon the community-along with an anti-Kymera faction known as The Sons of Adam. The sudden influx of tourists escalates racial tensions to a boiling point when two Kymerans are murdered and rioting fills the streets.


What did I think of it:
This is a really nice read.

The setting is imaginative and fun, although the mood in this book is a bit darker than in the first book, but I must say I liked it better because of that.

The story, dark though it is at times, isn't very complicated though, and even predictable. In my opinion the clues were a bit too obvious, and I even was a bit annoyed at Tate for not seeing what was right in front of her.

That aside: the writing is very pleasant and the story is fast paced. Even while seeing things coming from miles away, I very much enjoyed the book. It's a quick and easy read, perfect for when you want to relax and be entertained.

I will most probably get my trotters on the next book in this series somewhere in the future.

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable Urban Fantasy read


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

3 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I told BF to get book 3 for my bday ;)

Melliane said...

I really liked this one but now I need to read book 3! just need more time !

Aurian said...

Nice review Sullivan! I was afraid this series/author was too scary for me, but perhaps not.