Monday 12 August 2013

The Rising - Book Rant


The Rising (Darkness Rising #3)
by Kelley Armstrong


What is it about:
Things are getting desperate for Maya and her friends. Hunted by the powerful St. Clouds and now a rival Cabal as well, they're quickly running out of places to hide. And with the whole world thinking they died in a helicopter crash, it's not like they can just go to the authorities for help.

All they have is the name and number of someone who might be able to give them a few answers. Answers to why they're so valuable, and why their supernatural powers are getting more and more out of control.

But Maya is unprepared for the truths that await her. And now, like it or not, she'll have to face down some demons from her past if she ever hopes to move on with her life. Because Maya can't keep running forever.


What did I think of it:
*spoilery about the romance*

This is the last book in the Darkness Rising trilogy and it was my least favorite.

Remember how I predicted a huge love triangle fight in this last book?

Well, there wasn't a huge fight, but once again it turned out I had been rooting for the wrong guy and our heroine Maya settles for the love interest that I really, really disliked. And although it happens late in the story, there were vomit inducing clues to how things would turn out throughout this book.

On top of that Maya blames the other love interest for telling her something that she didn't want to know. Well... the thing she didn't want to know is so obvious that only by being ignorant she didn't know it yet.

So yes: Maya was annoying and the romance was annoying.
And yes, this is very personal, so most everyone else will probably be happy with how the romance turns out.

Luckily one new character gets introduced who I really liked and that saved a lot of this book for me. The other cool thing was the return of characters from The Darkest Powers trilogy.

Overall I was disappointed by the conclusion of this trilogy and I feel like rereading The Darkest Powers trilogy to get rid of the bad taste this book left me with.

Why should you read it:
Most probably you'll approve of the love interest Maya picks, so in that case this is a cool Paranormal YA read.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

5 comments:

Aurian said...

Lol I never go with the majority. When half the blog world is gushing over a hero, I totally despise him. (Barrons ...). So not so sure I won't agree with you.

Sullivan McPig said...

It would be cool to have someone agreeing with me for once :-)

Melliane said...

I'm so curious about this series!

you know what? I think I don't have the emails anymore as I follow your blog like that. I don't understand, it's the case for some of the blogs I follow

Aleksandra said...

I still haven't read this one, I actually only read the 1st one so far, but I know what you mean, because I accidentally spoiled myself about who Maya ends up with, and because of that fact, I've been reluctant to pick up The Calling & The Rising, even though I was really looking forward to seeing the Darkest Powers gang again in The Rising, but it's just that I really liked you-know-who, but I already had a feeling even in The Gathering that there will be a love triangle even before I spoil myself :(

But, I guess, I will finish this trilogy some time...

Denise Z said...

It will send me up the wall when this happens LOL another thing that gets me is when a favorite peripheral character gets killed off. Not sure which bothers me more. Thank you for the fun review.