Friday 21 December 2012

Cinder - Book Review


Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)
by Marissa Meyer


What is it about:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


What did I think of it:
This is a very enjoyable read.

I do confess it very predictable, not just because it's a retelling of Cinderella, but also because obvious hints were given long before Cinder figured thing out.

But that didn't stop me from gobbling up this story.

It's an easy, fast paced read and I love fairy tale retellings. I also really enjoyed Meyer's world building. She really fitted it into the story in a natural way, making it not a literal retelling of Cinderella, but using the original tale to tell her own story.

The cliffhanger ending did leave me hanging a bit though, hinting at things to come that aren't part of the original Cinderella tale. It's making me want to read the next book right away to know what happens next, but I'll have to wait until February...

Why should you read it:
It's an enjoyable retelling of Cinderella.


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

1 comment:

Melliane said...

Oh it's a book I want to read. I'm really curious after all the great things I read about it.