Thursday 23 June 2011

Nightfall - Book Review


Nightfall (Dark Age Dawning #1) by Ellen Connor

What is it about:
Growing up with an unstable, often absent father who preached about the end of the world, Jenna never thought in her wildest nightmares that his predictions would come true. Or that he would have a plan in place to save her-one that includes the strong, stoic man who kidnaps and takes her to a remote cabin in the Pacific Northwest.

The mysterious ex-Marine named Mason owes a life-debt to Jenna's father. Skilled and steadfast, he's ready for the prophesied Change, but Jenna proves tough to convince. Until the power grid collapses and mutant dogs attack-vicious things that reek of nature gone wrong.

When five strangers appear, desperate to escape the bloodthirsty packs, Jenna defies her protector and rescues them. As technology fails and the old world falls away, Jenna changes too, forever altered by supernatural forces. To fight for their future, she and Mason must learn to trust their instinctive passion-a flame that will see them through the bitter winter, the endless nights, and the violence of a new Dark Age.


What did I think of it:
I will confess I expected this book to be all romance with a small side order of paranormal action, especially as it's classified as Paranormal Romance. But being an absolute sucker for post-apocalyptic settings and knowing one of the two authors behind the name Ellen Connor was Ann Aguirre (the other being Carrie Lofty), I was curious enough to want to give this book a try.

And I was proven wrong in my assumptions once again!

This book is a seriously awesome post apocalyptic adventure and totally blew me away.

Aguirre and Lofty create a thrilling, dangerous and exciting world, filled with monsters, horrors, heroes, hope and love. The writing is excellent and the story grabbed me from the start: I just couldn't put the book down until I finished it. The characters were all amazing and felt very lifelike. Next to the lead characters there are some really cool other characters and I'm already looking forward to reading the other books in this trilogy as my favourite character will be lead character in book 3.

The romance was both frustrating and satisfying. Jenna and Mason were seriously ruffling each others feathers in a way that made me want to kick them, but at the same time it fit with their personalities and their background, so I'd have been disappointed if they had acted otherwise.

All in all a read that has a big chance of ending up in my list of favourite books of 2011.

Why should you read it:
This book is made of post apocalyptic awesomeness!


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

2 comments:

Mel said...

My copy arrived this week and I'm so gald it's as good as I hope! I won't be able to read it for a while but hopefully it will be one of holiday reads in July! Great review! :)

Nina said...

Wow, then it must be really good if you are thinking about adding it to your list of favourite books!! ;)