Friday 6 May 2011

All This And Family, Too - Book Review

All This and Family, Too by Sarah E. Glenn

What is it about:
Cythia Leach, professor of astronomy, just wants to lead a normal unlife. She believes that she can escape vampire hunters by moving away from North Carolina, but instead finds herself with a host of new problems.

Astronomy isn’t a nighttime science any more, and her department chair tries to force her to teach day classes. She rescues a runaway who soon learns too much to be discarded. Her family has moved to California with her, and the president of the neighborhood association is determined to run Grandma out of town. Worst of all, the vampire hunters are persistent ones – who have followed Cynthia to her new home.


What did I think of it:
A really fun story. The problems Cynthia runs into while trying to juggle unlife, family and work feel realistic (and even mundane in some cases) while they're still fun and exciting enough to make a great story. The writing is fast paced and pleasant and setting and world building are very decent. While some characters felt a bit stereotypical, this didn't annoy me and in certain cases even led to me liking them on introduction. There's a bit of f/f romance in this story, but it's only a small part of the story. I hope this book will have a sequel in which there will be more romance and lots more of Cynthia and her family.

Why should you read it:
It's a fun vampire story


Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

Buy from: Amazon

4 comments:

Sarah Glenn said...

Thank you for reviewing my book... and encouraging me to write more about the family!

Gwen Mayo said...

So glad you enjoyed the book. I love All This and Family, Too, but being her spouse, the author accuses me of being biased. Go figure.

frank.glenn3 said...

Thanks for reviewing my daughter's novel. I loved it in ms and even more now. Don't you think it could be a fun movie?

Sullivan McPig said...

@Gwen: I think a spouse can be an excellent judge for a book. You wouldn't want your otherhalf to publish a bad story afterall.
@Frank: It would make a very good movie I think. Better than some other vampire movies out there.