Monday 7 June 2010

On the Prowl - Book Review


On the Prowl

What is it about:
These all-new paranormal romances from today's hottest authors feature a female werewolf who comes into her own; a Lord who crosses paths with a fiery mage; a mixed-blood Child of the Moon who faces an uncertain future; and a woman whose sixth sense proves to be a dangerous talent.

What did I think of it:
There's four stories in this book and I loved two of them!
I'll tell you my thoughts about all of them.

'Alpha and Omega' by Patricia Briggs
Well, I must confess I bought the book for this story. I read that it was about Charles, a character that appeared in 'Moon Called' and who I immediately liked, so I really wanted to read this story which is the first story of a series about Charles and his mate Anna. I loved this story! Although set in the same world as the Mercy books and using characters that also appear in those books,
it's very different, but all the things why I love the Mercy books are also in this story. If all the other stories had been horrible I would still think my money was well spend on this book just for this story alone.

'Inhuman' by Eileen Wilks
I didn't much care for this story. I think it's because the characters didn't appeal to me and when the plot unraveled there were more things that I didn't particularly like.

'Buying Trouble' by Karen Chance
This story was my introduction to Karen Chance and I loved it! Its a rather different kind of shifter story and both fun and unique I thought. I wouldn't have minded if this story had been a bit longer though, I finished it way too fast.

'Mona Lisa Betwining' by Sunny
Well..... This story was about 95% smut and 5% trying to fit in a storyline to justify the smut. Not saying I've got anything against smut, but if I buy a book with shifter stories I want those stories to actually have shifters and a decent plot, not just one big smut fest. So, didn't much care for this one.

Why should you read it:
If you like to try out some shifter stories by different authors this might be your book.

1 comment:

Demented Wench said...

I'm pretty sure a 95/5 smut to storyline ratio is a bit out of balance. ;) Although I have to admit I'm now curious.