Friday 7 May 2010

Changeless - Book Review

Changeless by Gail Carriger

What is it about:
Alexia Tarabotti, the Lady Woolsey, awakens in the wee hours of the mid-afternoon to find her husband, who should be decently asleep like any normal werewolf, yelling at the top of his lungs. Then he disappears - leaving her to deal with a regiment of supernatural soldiers encamped on her doorstep, a plethora of exorcised ghosts, and an angry Queen Victoria.
But Alexia is armed with her trusty parasol, the latest fashions, and an arsenal of biting civility. Even when her investigations take her to Scotland, the backwater of ugly waistcoats, she is prepared: upending werewolf pack dynamics as only the soulless can.
She might even find time to track down her wayward husband, if she feels like it.


What did I think about it:
Just as 'Soulless' (The first book in this series) this book was witty and well written, with a great story and the mix of Victorian setting with Steampunk elements was just right. Still although I really like it I didn't love it as much as 'Soulless'. For one thing I got the feeling Alexia had turned from the slightly cynical, but loveable heroine she was in Soulless into a bit of a nag. I also thought Carriger took a step away from her characters, leaving them emotionally closed off and flatter than they were in the previous book. And the ending.... Without being too spoilery: Let's just say Carriger has lots of work to do in the next book 'Blameless' to get me happy again.

Why should you read it:
My points of critique aside this is a very good Steampunk story!

12 comments:

permanentcloud said...

sounds like a winner! :) i'll have to put it on my to-read list!

Sullivan McPig said...

Make sure to start with Soulless!

Danielle said...

How massive was that cliff-hanger at the end though?! GRRR! I need more!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you read them too close together? I often find if I don't spread out books written by the same author I don't enjoy them as much.

Sullivan McPig said...

@Danielle: I so hate cliff-hangers like that!!

@Alice: You might have a point. I'll certainly reread it in the future to see how it comes across at the second reading.

Nina said...

I adored Soulless, so this is going to be bought very soon! It does sounds that it's less fun than the first. :(

Sullivan McPig said...

It is a good read, no doubt about that, but for me Soulless was the better book.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but the second reading also carries it's own spin. Still, a fantastic book will win out no matter what, regardless of what else you've been reading or when.

Demented Wench said...

I've been eying both "Soulless" and "Changeless" but wasn't sure if I would like them. I'm glad you reviewed both of them on your blog (pigs being very intelligent animals).

Sullivan McPig said...

Thank you! Just for that insightful remark I will go easy on the food spam ;-)

vvb32 reads said...

glad to hear you endorse this one mcpig! steampunk rocks!

Sullivan McPig said...

It does!