Thursday 29 April 2010

Character Connection

We all have characters we love. Let's spotlight these fantastic creations! Whether you want to be friends with them or you have a full-blown crush on them, you know you love them and want everyone else to love them too!

Character Connection host by
TheIntrovertedReader.blogspot.com



Voodoo Bride chose the character for today's Character Connection and she picked Derek from 'the Darkest Powers' trilogy by Kelley Armstrong.

Why does Voodoo Bride love Derek, she'll tell you:

"I've heard lots of people say they only started to like Derek at the end of 'the Summoning', but I loved Derek from his first appearance. He's the kind of guy I like reading about in my Urban Fantasy books: Silent, gruff, mysterious and a bit of an loner. You've got to work to get to know him, but you can sense from the start it will be so worthwhile if you do. I also really liked how he wasn't a pretty boy, but even had acne and other teen growing into his body problems. He's far from the perfect, gorgeous looking, charismatic dream of every woman you find in so many other books and that makes him so much more realistic and made me connect with him right from the start."

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree that is something very intriguing about characters who have a little bit of a rough exterior. I haven't read this series yet but I surely will at some point.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

A hero with acne and other obvious physical flaws is indeed very rare!

Jen at Introverted Reader said...

Not-quite-perfect heroes can be the best kind. Wouldn't perfection get boring? I haven't started this series yet, but I do have the first one at home in my tbr piles.

The Book Mole said...

I have never read urban fantasies, but I like the idea of the hero with the imperfect exterior. Then, you like him what he is, not what he appears to be. Very nice illustration too!

Sullivan McPig said...

Thanks for you comments everyone.
This series is really good, so anyone who hasn't read it yet: you should give it a try.